Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Allergy Friendly Homemade Oreos


Can I just start by saying that there is something special about oreos. They just have a special way of making a bad day good and a good day better.  I L-O-V-E oreos.  Sadly, I'm too cheap to buy the real ones, and the store brand just aren't the same.   


So last night we were trying to reach an agreement on a family-home-evening treat.  We were having trouble agreeing on something until we saw a recipe for homemade oreos. Immediate concurrence that those would be great.  Now....I just had to figure out how to adapt them to fit our son's food allergies.....


OH HAPPY DAY!  The only thing I needed to replace was one little egg.  I can do that!  


So Here's what we came up with.  I don't know who to give credit to for the original recipe because every recipe I looked at was exactly the same.  So kudos and props to whoever came up with these oh-so-delicious-even-better-than-the-real-thing cookies. YUM!


Allergy Friendly Homemade Oreos


Cookie
1 1/4 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Cocoa
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
10 Tbs. (1 stick +2 TBS) *Dairy Free margarine
1 1/2 tsp. *Egg replacer + 2 TBS Water


Filling
1/4 Cup Dairy Free Margarine
1/4 Cup Shortening
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla


 Mix egg replacer & water in a small bowl. Combine dry ingredients. Add egg replacer mixture and margarine to the dry mixture.  Mix until a firm dough forms.  Form dough into small balls (About a tsp.) & place on a cookie sheet. Flatten each ball with the back of a spoon.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 6 mins.  Move to a wire rack & let cool.  
When the cookies are cool, pair cookies by size.   Pipe Frosting onto cookies and smoosh together. ENJOY!


*For this recipe I used bestlife buttery spread and Ener-g Egg Replacer



I had another idea for these cookies, but I got vetoed.  I really really love mint oreos.  I wanted to put a little mint extract into the filling and tint it green, but my family out-voted me.  If anybody tries it, snap a picture and tell me how it goes.  I thought that sounded delicious.






I was VERY impressed with how these turned out.  Usually I like the allergy friendly stuff we make, but I can tell that we're missing out on the 'real' ingredients.  With these cookies you couldn't tell at all! They are even better than real oreos! We enjoyed ours with a mug of milk.


A kitchen success!  





"Purdy-Neat, huh?"









No comments:

Post a Comment