Thursday, July 26, 2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread

I am back from a rather lengthy blogging hiatus. I have been incredibly lazy busy doing more important things. Truth is, I have done several crafts and recipes with the intention of blogging about it but nothing turned out. And when I say nothing I mean NOTHING.  Not a dang thing!  So I haven't blogged for a while....but here I am because I finally found a recipe I really liked.  Yay!

This year our garden is a little zucchini heavy.  Luckily, the drought is making for not so many zucchinis as I expected we would have.  My son helped my hubby pick things from the garden and then left several zucchini out on the porch to shrivel in the 104 degree sun.  So what do you do with slightly shriveled, sun baked zucchinis?  You make a delicious looking lemon zucchini bread that you found on pinterest!

 I kind of adapted the recipe and made it my own.  The inspiration recipe doesn't have poppy seeds, but I had some that needed used, and I just think they add a little something. The original recipe can be found here at Nancy Creative.  Sorry for the lame picture.  I only snapped a test shot before the camera battery died....so that's what you get.



LEMON POPPY SEED ZUCCHINI BREAD 
2 cups Flour
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp. Salt
2/3 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Applesauce
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1/2 Cup Soymilk ( or Almond)
3 Tbs. Lemon juice
4 Tsp. Poppy Seeds
1 Cup Grated Zucchini ( I don't like the stringiness of grated zucchini, so i took my grated stuff and ran it through the food processor as well.  That way you can hide it better from picky eaters too!)

GLAZE
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
2 Tbs. Lemon Juice

Mix sugar with applesauce, oil, soy milk and lemon juice.  Add dry ingredients.  Fold in poppy seeds and zucchini.  Bake batter in a large bread pan at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.  While the bread is cooling mix the glaze and spoon over top of the loaf.

*Makes 1 loaf

This bread is an amazingly moist,smooth, light, almost melt in your mouth piece of  yummy goodness! I don't think you'll be disappointed. Please give it a try and let me know how it turns out!

1 comment:

  1. Way yummy Libby! Even without the soy milk! Thanks for the recipe but I could not stop at one piece, not good!

    ReplyDelete